Concerts at The Parish Church of St Mary & St Eanswythe



St Mary &

St Eanswythe

The Bayle, Folkestone, Kent CT20 1SW United Kingdom
Music on a Sunday Afternoon presented by Bayle Music
Kindly Sponsored by
Partnership Working Team (Folkestone)
Christina Brisk
Hugh Carson

Sunday Afternoon concerts will start at 3.30 pm unless otherwise stated.

A FRIENDS’ SEASON TICKET costs just £55 for the remaining five concerts in the 2018- 19 season.

Sixth Season 2018-19

WEDNESDAY 5 December 7.30 pm

Handel - ‘Messiah’

Amici Chorus & Canterbury Camerata

Holy Trinity Church, Sandgate Road

Admission £12


Sunday 3 February 3.00 pm


Odora Piano Trio

Works by Mendelssohn & Haydn

Admission £12


Concert in church


Sunday 10 March 2019 3.30 pm

Brahms Requiem

Piano four hands accompaniment – the version performed at its London premiere in 1871.

Admission £12


Concerts begin at 3.30 pm. Tickets cost £12 and are on sale at the door from 3 pm or reserved in advance by calling 01303 257 248 by midday the preceding Saturday.

Children and students in full-time education are admitted free.

Why not consider becoming a Bayle Music Patron?

It is still not too late to become a Patron for 2018-19 season. £100 will help us to ensure the future for these popular, entertaining concerts.

Cheques payable to ‘Bayle Music’ posted to: Bayle Music, 16 Bayle Court, The Parade, Folkestone, Kent CT20 1SN

Further details and concert seat reservations 01303 257 248


About St Eanswythe and Folkestone's old Parish Church

Christian worship has been offered on or near this site since 630 AD when Eadbald, King of Kent, built a convent and church for his daughter Eanswythe - believed to be the first religious house with an abbess in the country. His father, King Ethelbert, had welcomed St Augustine and his monks in 597.  Eanswythe died in about 640 AD and was made a saint soon after. Her relics became a focus of pilgrimage and in 1138 were brought into the present church (the fourth to occupy this site) on 12 September - the date we still keep as our Patronal Festival.
In the 11th century the Priory was established but was suppressed like almost all the others, by Henry VIII in 1534 and the church entered a long period of neglect and decline.
Canon Matthew Woodward, vicar from 1851 to 1898, transformed it into the beautiful church you see today, with stained glass, murals and mosaics of the highest quality.

  St Eanswythe's relics were re-discovered in 1885 during work in the Chancel and are now kept in niche behind a brass grill in the north wall of Sanctuary of the High Altar, close by Woodward's memorial brass plate. They provide an inspiring link with the far-off days of Pope Gregory and St Augustine and the return of Christianity to Britain 300 years after the Roman occupation ended.

St Eanswythe

East Bridge Chorale
Crowthers of Canterbury (Wind Instruments)

Email for further enquiries

Contact web designer